Nature Society (Singapore) Exhibition

Written by Mr William Teng

Last weekend, the Nature Society (Singapore) held an exhibition featuring Singapore's biodiversity as well as the society's efforts in conserving it.

The exhibition was set up at the grassy area near CompassOne in Sengkang. Unfortunately, there were very few visitors when I first chanced upon it on Saturday. I was the only visitor when I viewed the exhibits on Sunday. Not many people knew about the exhibition and some even thought that it was part of the pasar malam (local bazaar).

The empty exhibition site with the pasar malam in the background

It was a pity because I got to learn more about the different biomes (a community of plants and animals that have common characteristics for the environment they exist in) and the ecosystems in Singapore. I also got to find out about Singapore's unofficial national bird - the Crimson Sunbird (Aethopyga siparaja) and butterfly - the Common Rose (Pachliopta aristolochiae).

I tried informing the students to drop by but few were interested or free to do so. I do hope that more people can be interested in the rich biodiversity in Singapore and that this blog can help raise awareness and encourage people to explore.

Here are some photographs of the exhibition:











Comments

Popular Posts